Sunday, March 28, 2010
















Here's Bradley with the soil block maker. The soil block maker is pushed into a pan of rather wet potting soil, then the blocks are pushed out of the mold by pulling up while pushing down at the same time. Not the best explanation, but that's the best I can do. Next time maybe a short video! Another 22 flats seeded today with onions. We also seeded 600 cells with sugar snap peas, to be transplanted when the weather is more cooperative. And I filled 22 trays to be seeded with peppers later this week. This is the first time I will be transplanting peas. I never seem to get good germination when direct seeding peas early when the weather is unstable. This year I decided to try transplanting one variety and see how that goes. There never seems to be enough sugar snap peas for everyone! Maybe this year there will be enough to go around. Also, next time I will take a picture of Bradley's face!
The broccoli is up along with the cabbage, cauliflower, kale, and some of the herbs, in spite of the cold weather. It got pretty cold in the greenhouse the last couple of nights, but I won't turn the heat on unless absolutely necessary. That's why I don't start the warm weather crops until the weather warms up a little more.

Here's a link to a great recipe/idea from a blog I read, Well Preserved , written by Eugenia Bone. The recipe reminded me of the garden when it is in full force, but I'm so tired that I don't feel like cooking anything! This one is something I can do without too much effort and too much thinking. I have also purchased Eugenia Bone's book, Well Preserved, and will definitely be trying some of her ideas for preserving the harvest in small batches.



No comments: