Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring Supper: Beet Greens, Asparagus, w/Poached Eggs


Are you looking forward to Spring as much as I am?  While the beets were tiny (Chiogga with the pretty rings), the greens were young, fresh and tasty.  I got these from the final indoor winter farmer's market from Maize Valley Farm.

After a long day with no real plan for dinner, a search of the fridge turned up the beet greens, a bunch of asparagus (not yet local, but pretty good), some cooked lentils, and a couple of Brunty Farms eggs.  The last carton of eggs were so big I couldn't even close the carton.

So I sauteed the beets and greens, then the asparagus, and brought a pot of water to boil to poach the eggs.  I got to test out a new gadget - these silicone poaching pods.  Note that you still need to grease the pods, lest your eggs stick to them.  This was my first time using them.  They worked pretty well, but I did break one of the eggs getting it out.


If I hadn't been so tired, I would have thought of the perfect addition to this dinner - some of the awesome Chevre from Lucky Penny Creamery!  But I didn't until it was too late.  Next time, though.

No comments: