Sunday, July 5, 2009

CSA Crudite with Herbed Creme Fraiche Dip


Sure, you could pick up one of those sad, limp, tasteless, pre-made veggie trays at the grocery, but doesn't this look a lot more appetizing?  

Remember last week's turnips?  I used a wavy cutter and sliced them to look like chips.  This week's broccoli and cauliflower - blanched for a minute or so in boiling water, then plunged into ice water.  Same for that pretty handful of green beans I picked up at the farmer's market yesterday.

The carrots and radishes just needed a quick wash.  I peeled the carrots, but left a little bit of the greens on to use as a handle.

For the dip, I took a container of creme fraiche (like sour cream, but with a richer flavor - look for it in the either the cheese or dairy case, depending on the market) then I took a trip through my herb garden, which yielded a bunch of chives, some lemon basil, some lemon balm, a little mint, and some parsley.  I chopped the herbs, added some salt and pepper, and instant fresh dip.

No comments: