Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chicken with Poblano Sauce



I love poblano peppers (chile rellenos - which I can not pronounce to save my life) and was happy to see some in the share box.

I finally have a few nights to actually cook for myself instead of other people, and one of my fellow personal chefs posted this recipe (originally from Gourmet magazine), that had gotten rave reviews.

Plus it's quick and easy. Especially if you remember to preheat the oven. Which I did not. So I put my sauced chicken back in the skillet, turned down the flame as low at it would go, and slapped a lid on while the oven heated. No harm, no foul - pun intended.

Chicken with Poblano Sauce

Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------- -----------------
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large poblano chiles -- seeded and sliced into ¼-inch strips
1 medium onion -- sliced ¼ inch thick
4 6 oz. skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese -- grated (about 2 2/3 cups)

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add the poblanos and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large, heavy skillet. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add them skinned side down to the skillet. Cook over moderately high heat until browned, and 3 minutes per side. Arrange the chicken breasts in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer.

3. Transfer the cooked poblano mixture to a blender with the sour cream and milk; puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the chicken is cooked through.




It was flavorful, but not really overly hot or spicy. Just right. Delicious! Had it with some heat and eat Uncle Ben's Santa Fe Rice and a package of frozen veggies.

Bonus: Leftover fresh figs and Gorgonzola Dolce from my last catering event. I hate it when that happens.

No comments: