Monday, August 31, 2009

Fresh Tomato Sauce with Bacon



I love this time of year! Tomatoes everywhere. That actually taste like tomatoes.

I am making some slow roasted sauce today for the freezer, plus a batch of my favorite summer sauce, Fresh Tomato Sauce with Bacon from Jim Fobel's Big Flavors, an old cookbook that I love for it's range of recipes that live up to the title.




Fresh Tomato Sauce with Bacon from Jim Fobel's Big Flavors

Makes about 5 cups - enough for 2# of pasta

6-8 slices lean, hickory smoked bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 t dried basil, crumbled
1/2 t dried oregano, crumbled
3 # ripe summer tomatoes (10-12 med, or 6 lg beefsteak) peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped, reserve juices
1/4 c tomato paste
1/2 c dry white wine
2 t sugar
1 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1 bay leaf

In nonreactive large saucepan over moderate heat, cook the bacon til crisp. Spoon off and discard all but 1 T of the fat.

Add onion to skillet and saute til softened. Add garlic, basil and oregano and cook a minute. Add tomatoes and juices, paste, wine, sugar, S&P and bay. Bring to boil over moderate heat. Reduce to low and simmer til slightly thickened and the flavors are blended, about 30 min. Taste for seasoning. Remove bat, Set aside to cool to room temp. Cover and chill for a week.

I usually eat about half of the bacon, and throw the rest back in the sauce. Your call.

3 comments:

Debbie Fox said...

Sounds very good, anything with bacon is my motto.

Can you share your "Slow Roasted Sauce"?

DineInDiva said...

Roughly, I am following this one from the bitten word, but I will probably roast a little lower temp for longer and throw in some fresh basil.

http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/08/easy-oven-roasted-tomato-sauce.html#more

Food mills and I don't get along - I will put it all in the food processor, skins, seeds and all. Yes, I am lazy, and it doesn't bother me to have some texture.

Debbie Fox said...

Thanks, Tami