Saturday, June 27, 2009

Farmer's Market Demo: Strawberry Salsa



Thanks to everyone that stopped by this morning and sampled the goodies I made using the bounty of the market. 

 First we did Strawberry Salsa with Lake Erie Creamery Goat Cheese over Baguette slices from Great Lakes Baking Company.

2 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries
2 T white balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 T minced fresh basil
1 1/2 t minced fresh chives
1 t sugar
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. soft goat cheese
Baguette, sliced thinly on the diagonal

Combine 1st six ingredients.  Let stand 30 minutes to blend flavors.  Spread cheese on baguette slices and top with strawberry mixture.

The "Kohl" Slaw was also a big hit, the recipe for it is in the prior post.

Finally, I made a Green Garlic Vinaigrette with a huge green garlic donated by Baker's Fresh Produce.   I wish I had a photo of it,  it was huge!  I chopped the bulb and most of the stalk and sauteed it in a cast iron skillet with a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil.  That drew a crowd.

To finish I put a few tablespoons of champagne vinegar in a bowl, most of the juice from one half of a lemon, seasoned with salt and pepper, and added enough extra virgin olive oil to emulsify, then added fresh chopped parsley.  We sampled with baguette at the market, but I think this would be excellent on chicken or fish.  Do a search on-line if you never seen or used green garlic; there's a lot of good info.

I'll be back behind the demo table Thursday at Stan Hywet and Howe Meadow, next Saturday, July 4th.  I'm thinking maybe something with Lake Erie Creamery's fantastic raw milk feta....

Thanks to my capable assistant, who was at the market for the first time, and got to help me :-), and to all of the vendors who generously donated goods for the demo.

No comments: