Thursday, June 18, 2009

Radishes


I got this beautiful bunch of Easter Egg radishes last week at the farmer's market.  90% of the time I end up eating the radishes as a snack, with a little sea salt.

Cooking them does take a little bit of the bite out, but the amount of heat depends on the variety, and on the growing condition.

If you think you don't like radishes, I found a recipe that you might enjoy, since it isn't really the focus:



Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Serves:
    4 servings

Ingredients

    * 2 teaspoons sugar
    * 1 lemon, juiced
    * 1/2 cup sour cream
    * 8 red radishes, thinly sliced
    * 2 Delicious apples, quartered cored and thinly sliced
    * 1/2 European seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    * Salt and black pepper

Directions

Combine sugar, lemon juice, and sour cream in a medium bowl with a fork. Add radishes, apple, and cucumber.

Turn vegetables and fruit in dressing to coat. Season with dill, salt, and pepper, toss again; serve.

Click the title to go to the printable version from Food Network.  

I always get a review out of reading the reviews, especially the ones that state: " I didn't have any radishes, so I used an onion, I didn't have any apples, so I used a pear, and I didn't have any dill, so I used tarragon.  And this recipe was terrible!".  Ok - I made that one up, but there seems to be a fair amount of reviewers, especially on the FN and Cooking Light sites, that feel compelled to leave a pretty much useless review.  They might make better use of their time actually acquiring the ingredients to make the actual recipe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great recipe! It would be really good with a little lemon zest. It could have used a touch more sugar. But overall, it was delicious. And a great way to use radishes.