Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cook With What You've Got Challenge



Today I made lentil soup from a recipe in Cook's Illustrated that I have made before. It's a great recipe, and the best part is that I had everything on hand, since I am trying to cook only with what I have. Everything was available, until I got to the 1/2 cup of white wine. How could I be out of white wine? (Guess I drank it!) The recipe calls for carrots, onions, and garlic, all of which I had, the carrots and onions from my garden, and the garlic from a neighbor, Jim Lusk. By the way, Jim grows alot of garlic and it is for sale around the end of July. More on that later. I even picked some thyme from the herb garden at my house, and just for fun, walked out to the large garden where there are still some carrots in the ground. I meant to cover them with straw before the cold set in, but I never got around to it. I thought I would have to dig them out, but they popped right out of the ground with a little tug! I picked 6, washed them off, and they actually tasted pretty good. I will have to get out there and pull some more before we get another cold spell! I used homemade chicken stock and my canned tomatoes. And I used red wine instead of white, and it tastes fine. Now I'm out of white AND red wine!

3 comments:

DineInDiva said...

Looks yummy! I keep a bottle of dry vermouth in the frig for recipes that only call for a little white wine. It stays good a lot longer than wine does.

Debbie Fox said...

Good idea, I will try that. I love getting these tips from everyone as much as I like doing the challenge!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

I think it's so awesome everything for the dish you already had on hand (or in the ground).

I second the recommendation for keeping dry vermouth around. It's very handy.

Since you are using homegrown ingredients, would you like to enter this post in our Grow Your Own roundup this month? Full Details at

http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/01/rambutans-plus-grow-your-own.html