Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Asian Greens

It's almost time to start picking up the CSA boxes.  I just checked in with Debbie and she sent the following:

There will be pac choi, (a light green variety of bok choi), red and green mustards, arugula, French Breakfast radishes, green onions, red, green, or speckled lettuce, chinese cabbage, Hakuri white turnips, mizuna.  Herbs will be thyme, oregano, chives, tarragon. This will not all be in the first pick up, but possibly the first 3 pick ups.  The turnips are a variety that are better eaten raw or lightly cooked, as compared to a regular turnip that can be tough and needs to be cooked thoroughly.  The spinach should be in this first group, but again I am having trouble getting it to germinate properly. 

I know that most people aren't familiar with the Asian greens, so here are a few links to study before the season starts.  I will also try and develop some recipes as time permits.





Great blog with Asian influenced recipes:  Steamy Kitchen

1 comment:

Debbie Fox said...

I am having the "Asian Green Salad with Sweet Shallot Vinaigrette" from the Saveur Magazine link for lunch today. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but I think it's growing on me! I went out to the garden last night after an inch of rain to pick some Asian greens and practically got stuck in the mud. While I was in the garden I remembered that I forgot to include broccoli raab (rapini) and kohlrabi in the first vegetables. Thanks again, Tami, for the links in this post and the last one.