Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Greek Bison Burgers and Sweet & Spiced Herb Radish Saute



I've been wanting to try the Greek Bison Burgers since the issue of Eating Well Magazine featuring them arrived. Bison is a healthy alternative for red meat lovers - it's lower in fat and cholesterol. Bison is available directly from the farmer at The Countryside Conservancy Farmer's Markets, from Mustard Seed (call meat dept ahead; they don't stock as frequently in Montrose as in Solon, and at West Side Market).

I got my package, which comes vacuum sealed, at West Side Market. The fresh herbs, spinach, tomatoes, Greek Yogurt, and Feta also came from the market. I am not a big fan of Greek Feta; I prefer the milder, French. If you find Greek too salty or twangy, give the French Feta a try. Greek Yogurt, now that, I love.

Burgers were good, but the sauce and toppings are what make it excellent. Bison is very lean and you need to take care not to overcook. The patties stuck to the grill when I tried to flip. In retrospect, I should have taken the package of meat out of the package and let it warm a bit before making the patties, and I should have rubbed an oiled paper towel over the grill grates prior to putting them on. I got one nice pretty one and three pretty sad, but still tasty ones.



The final recipe from last week's Splendid Table newsletter called for radishes, one of my spring favorites, but one I rarely cook.

Sweet and Spiced Herb Radish Saute - Splendid Table

1 1/1 - 2 T unsalted butter
about 24 multi-colored small radishes, trimmed, washed and dried
1/8 t sugar
generous pinch hot pepper flakes
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2-3 T water
1/4 c snipped chives or thin-sliced scallion tops
3 basil leaves, torn
2 T sour cream

Heat butter in 10" saute pan over medium high. Add radishes and sugar, saute about 2 min.

Lower heat to medium. Sprinkle radishes with s & p and water. Cover and cook 1 minute. Uncover and boil off liquid, stirring all the time. Taste for seasoning and fold in herbs. Serve warm with dollops of sour cream.

Verdict: I thought I would really love this one. I wasn't crazy about it, and probably wouldn't repeat. Cooking the radishes and the pinch of sugar takes the bite out of them, but I would have rather enjoyed this nice bunch of small ones with a little salt and a dip in a little butter.

No comments: