Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower and Prosciutto



Made this recipe last night and it was outstanding. I used the version posted by Simply Recipes, a blog I follow whose recipes I love. The original recipe was from Fine Cooking, also a favorite of mine. (FYI - there is a jar of Panko in the photo that doesn't belong with this recipe; I was going to make something different until I discovered my lone onion was well past it's prime).



I've had trouble finding the pasta called for, orecchiette, or "little ears" in regular grocery stores, but have had success at Italian markets. I bought the pasta, prosciutto and cheese from the Mediterranean Imported Foods at the West Side Market. The cauliflower and baby spinach came from my favorite stand, The Basketeria.

For out of season grape tomatoes, which I eat a lot of, I like the ones from Sam's Club the best. Check the package, though, the ones grown in Texas are a lot tastier than the ones grown in Mexico.

Until I discovered roasted cauliflower, I have to confess I wasn't a huge fan of the vegetable. Roasting gives a nice, nutty flavor.



This went together quickly and would make a great weeknight dish. Be sure to save some of the pasta water to moisten your sauce. I thought pulsing the prosciutto in the food processor to chop it was a stroke of genius. Much easier than mincing with a knife. The dried sage blends in and doesn't have an overly herby flavor.

Remember this one when the fresh cauliflower, spinach and arugula come in your share box.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This recipe looks great, can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

Made this recipe last night, and really liked it. The tomatoes were a nice sweet addition.

DineInDiva said...

FYI - This was just as good the second day as leftovers. I had some cold for breakfast, in fact, although it's better gently reheated in the microwave for 2-3 minutes at 70% power.