Thursday, May 28, 2009

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme. Oh, and Dill and Cilantro and Tarragon...


Fresh herbs are one of my secret weapons for transforming food from frumpy to fabulous.  Even the humble parsley, chopped, and added to a dish, provides a bright, verdant kick in most dishes.

The CSA boxes will contain generous bunches of fresh herbs.  After using a sprig or two in your favorite recipe, are you stumped as to what to do with the rest of that beautiful bunch?

I just stumbled on this post, which helpfully lists recipes, by herb, and in combination, with amount of herbage required, so you can plan accordingly.

This list will also be handy if you end up spending $2.29 for a package of herbs out of season at the store (ouch, that really kills me).  

I grow plenty of my own in season, and set my clients up with a fresh supply.   My out of season tip: Buy at the West Side Market.  You can get large, fresh, organic bunches for $1. Basketeria packages in small plastic containers and will give you a credit for returning them.  Two stands to the left packages in small cello bags, which I prefer.

Do I have you humming Simon and Garfunkel yet? 

1 comment:

Debbie Fox said...

Excellent link, Tami. Thank you!