Saturday, May 2, 2009

Will You Supplement Your CSA Share with Your Own Garden?

Here's a note from member Pat Brannon. Feel free to respond via the comments.

Only 9 more weeks 'til our first pick-up day!

I wanted to share this site kitchengardeners.org - which promotes "the localest" food of all. Lots of interest here for those of us for whom eating fresh and local is important.

I hope the Yahoo group will generate a lively exchange of ideas, recipes, comments, and items of interest for us locavores throughout the season.

I'll begin by asking: Are you are supplementing your shares with small gardens of your own. What do you plan to plant? or have already planted? in a small plot? or in containers?

I have a small plot that grows smaller every year as I transition to more containers. Last summer I had success with patio kebob tomato plants (from Hirt's), brilliant red Swiss chard, and red bell peppers in big ol' whiskey barrels. We recycled old storm windows to build two small cold frames, enabling us to enjoy four varieties of early lettuce and another fall crop that carried us through Thanksgiving.

I fashioned some bamboo stakes (from an old trellis that self-destructed) into a tiny trellis to grow a small crop of pea pods. I like to try something different each year. This year I am trying snow peas and cress.

There was space for a few odd tomato plants - some off-the-wall varieties which made for interesting dinner salad conversation!

But the real bonus was a bumper crop of renegade acorn squash that popped up all over the place - the result of composted garbage tossed on the garden the previous winter.

I also have a small herb patch - just the basics- sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, tarragon, mint, lemon, and for my garden companion, Annie, some catnip. If you would like to start your own oregano, thyme, or tarragon, I have lots to share.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Pat Brannon


Not very many of the group joined the Yahoo group. I did, but have to confess that I don't find the interface very user friendly, and it's easy to lose the notifications, or forget to check the group.

Hopefully the blog will get a little more interaction going, and since it's on the internet and is not closed, there is potential to share with a larger audience of like minded local food lovers. Feel free to forward the link and invite anyone who might be interested to follow and participate.

Once you have a Google ID, or whatever other ones that Blogger accepts, leaving a comment is as simple as clicking on the comment link at the end of each post and typing what you want. I will moderate and approve them before they are published to ensure that nothing unintended ends up there.

If you have a recipe, or discussion that should have it's on post, or photos, shoot me an e-mail and I will put it in a separate post.

Debbie was considering making a website, but it takes a lot of work to build and maintain one, and they cost money, unlike this blog, which is free.

I, too am a member of Kitchen Gardeners; this group organized a petition to get the Obamas to plant the White House garden. I don't visit or participate often because I am active in several other groups and boards. Check out Local Food Cleveland.org as well.

I continue to maintain my own organic vegetable and herb garden for my own use, as well as for my chef clients and as a demonstration/class forum for my cooking and gardening classes.

I have a large, thriving red and yellow raspberry patch, a few struggling, but promising asparagus plants, and every year I do about 20 Heirloom Tomatoes, with a focus on the black varieties which are my favorite. I'll post when the raspberries are ripe; you are welcome to come and pick some.

I am also officially garden coaching for hire. I have several clients already. The focus is now shifting to more of a teaching and guiding business vs. planting and weeding, which I've also done.

I was interviewed and quoted in today's Beacon Journal article, and last Saturday as well.

No comments: