Friday, May 1, 2009

Looking forward to a new CSA season

Welcome to White House Gardens CSA blog. This is my second year as a member, and I purchased from Debbie Fox at the farmer's markets before I joined. The selection last year was outstanding. I still remember helping plant all of those tomato plants on a searing hot day last year, that was not unlike our freak hot spell at the beginning of this week.

To enhance the enjoyment of the shares for everyone, I will be developing some original recipes as well as testing and tweaking some from other sources, then posting them with photos here. Debbie or I will also post updates on what to expect in the upcoming shares.

Feel free to leave comments, which I'll moderate and publish as soon as I can.

Here's a note from Debbie:

Dear Shareholders:

I have been planting the first crops in the ground. Spinach, arugula, mustard greens, turnips, peas, cabbage, and onions went in the ground during the hot spell last week. Thank goodness it finally cooled down! This weekend we will plant Swiss chard, broccoli, cauliflower, chinese cabbage, poc choi, and beets.

The CSA is almost full. I have 2 or 3 shares left, and several people have expressed an interest, so it should be finalized by this weekend.

I have a friend who grows asparagus. I picked up some today, and it is very good and very fresh. He wanted to know if any of my shareholders would be interested in some. He is taking orders, which you can place through me. The cost is $2.50 per pound. Asparagus grows pretty fast, so if you want some please let me know as soon as possible. Depending on how much all of you order, it can be picked up at my farm on Sat. or Sun. Please email me with your orders by noon on Friday so he has time to pick it. If you can't get some now, he will have it for a couple of weeks.

Debbie



Here's to a great season of fresh, local produce. Pray for pleasant weather, just enough rain, but not too much, and good bugs and not many bad ones.

No comments: